Water Quality Monitor
POSITION TITLE: Water Quality Monitor
COUNTRY PROGRAM: Somalia Duty Station: Las’anod
RESPONSIBLE TO: Wash Officer
STATUS: Full Time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: None
DEPARTMENT/COUNTRY PROGRAM DESCRIPTION/MISSION
The overall objective of the American Refugee Committee (ARC) in Somalia program is to prevent death and alleviate human suffering among affected internally displaced persons (IDPs) in settlements and host communities where we work. ARC has embarked on WASH, Health, Protection, shelter and livelihood activities in lower juba region of Somalia and health and WASH programme in both Banadir and Sool region of Somaliland expand to other parts of the Country. ARC is taking a multi-sectoral approach in responding to the severe drought conditions through a range of activities including Health, Relief Commodities and WASH.
The Somalia Program of the American Refugee Committee (ARC) has fully-fledged offices in Mogadishu, Kismayo, Dhobley, Afmadow, Hargeisa and Laas Canood in Somaliland besides a liaison office in Nairobi, Kenya. ARC is working closely with national and regional authorities and with a number of Somalia-based international and national organizations to galvanize coordinated lifesaving humanitarian assistance to the people in need.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The position of Water Quality Monitor Under the direct supervision of the WASH officer, the holder of this position will be charged with water quality testing, monitoring and reporting. She/he will provide technical oversight to water quality operators during Wells/bore-holes chlorination and FRC monitoring.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Chlorination all the water points with the required amount of chlorine to attain the required FRC at fetching point.
- Set up equipment or stations to monitor water quality at chlorination, fetching and at households.
- Develop water testing procedures and direct activities of water quality operators both in the field and in the laboratories.
- Collect samples, conduct instant field tests and laboratory tests, and prepare reports, summaries, or charts that interpret test results.
- Maintain files and records of sample test results in order to monitor and interpret the water quality or contamination trends at all points and periods.
- Periodically calibrate water testing equipment and apparatus.
- Make recommendations to control or eliminate unsafe conditions at water sources, tap-stands or water kiosks and at households that are potential sources of water contamination.
- Train Water User Committees on the simple ways of ensuring water quality at the source and simple water chlorination methods.
- Any other official duties assigned by his/her supervisor
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- A laboratory technician`s Diploma or certificate from a recognized science /public health technical institute.
- At least 3 years hands-on experience in similar position with a credible organization or government institution. Proven experience of handling water treatment chemicals and apparatus like pool tester, Del Aqua kit or Pota kit.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Should have good documentation and dissemination / presentation skills
- Should be able to live, work and travel in an insecure environment, following strict security guidelines at all times.
- Proven capacity to work in a quickly moving, unstable situation and work against targeted outputs with tight time frames and deadlines