Terms of Reference for Business Development Expert to facilitate Social Venture Workshop in Hargiesa, Burao and Borama.
Terms of Reference for
Business Development Expert to facilitate
Social Venture Workshop in Hargiesa, Burao and Borama.
Unemployment constitutes a serious challenge in Somaliland. A labour survey carried out by the Ministry of Labour and supported by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) in three cities (Hargeisa, Burao and Borama) estimated only about 23 percent of the population is employed. There are significant differences, however, across gender and age with men being much more likely to be employed than women (28.5 percent of men were employed, as compared to 16.7 percent of women). In terms of age, those most likely to be employed were between 35 and 54 (with 42 percent of men and 23 percent of women employed). By way of comparison, only 6 percent of males and 4 percent of females aged 15 to 24 were employed.
NAGAAD Network is implementing UPSHIFT program, which is UNICEF funded, in Tog-dheer, Maroodi-Jeex and Awdal regions of Somaliland. UPSHIFT is designed to build transferable skills and create opportunity, with a focus on the most disadvantaged young people.
UPSHIFT is an opportunity to support youth and adolescents to become a force for positive social and economic change, contributing to a competitive labour force, sustained economic growth, improved governance, and vibrant civil societies. The UPSHIFT programme blends leading approaches to youth and adolescent development with social innovation and social entrepreneurship. UPSHIFT empowers young people to identify challenges in their communities and create entrepreneurial solutions to address them.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
The main objective of the consultancy is give support to young entrepreneurs on business development skills, writing up of investment/business plans, SME registration requirements and procedures, increasing access to finance, etc.
- Objectives of the Social Venture Workshop:
- Provision of entrepreneurship training that is meant to equip young entrepreneurs with knowledge and skills on how to generate innovative business ideas, marketing, resource mobilization and business planning among others
- Help young entrepreneurs to make their business ideas concrete and innovative, that they can pitch it to the public.
- Scope of the Assignment:
- In close cooperation with the NAGAAD and UNICEF team, the consultant will prepare the social venture training set up by a planning with a clear set of goals, deliverables, and methodology.
- Facilitate social venture workshops in Hargeisa, Borama and Burao. The workshops will be four days each.
- Work with young entrepreneurs, as groups, and support them to fatherly develop and decorate their business ideas
- Ensure that every group has completed their company profiles, business plan, detailed budget and work plan. If necessary, the consultant will develop and share templates with young entrepreneurs.
- Provide youth entrepreneursoverview of SME registration procedures, and financial investment options among different banks and micro-credit schemes and guide them with formal requirements and procedures to access loans.
- Evaluate the training by structured questionnaires at the end of the training with the purpose to define next steps, gaps in understanding and needs to follow up training/coaching support.
- Follow up and coaching after training at least one time for each location to make sure that everything is following the action plan, adjust or move to difference direction or approach if needed.
The assignment will take place in Hargeisa, Burao and Boram. The Programme staff will arrange the logistics, travel arrangements and venue.
The consultant/trainer will deliver:
- Training agenda
- Training materials
- At the end of the assignment, submit a maximum of 20 pages report in English. The report will consist of the following: a. Introduction b. Training Objectives c. Training Curriculum Findings and recommendations e. Overview of access to finance at different banks f. Requirements and (dis) advantages for SME registration g. Annexes of materials developed
- Action plan on follow up and coaching young entrepreneurs
- Qualifications and Experience
- MA in Business Administration
- Demonstrated experience of SME-specific challenges and successful approaches in SME development
- Experience in training and capacity building
- Fluent English language
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with young adolescences.
- How to Submit an Offer
Interested consultants or companies are invited to send:
- A Motivation Letter addressing the Terms of Reference
- Curriculum Vitae
- A short description of earlier relevant assignments
Interested consultants/trainers are invited to send their proposal with the items above, before January 25th, 2020, to NAGAAD through this email. email@example.com