SENIOR DATABASE OFFICER
|Job Title:||SENIOR DATABASE OFFICER-HARGEISA|
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote-sensing. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
We are currently looking for a REACH Senior Database Officer to support our REACH team inSomalia.
Position: Senior Database Officer
Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Hargeisa, Somalia with travel
Starting Date: November 2018
REACH has been operational in Somalia since 2012, providing information management support to humanitarian actors in a complex environment through assessment capacity, GIS services and support to Cluster IM practices. Projects have included tri-cluster assessments in support of the WASH, Shelter and Education Clusters, support to Food Security response analysis, and development of a Shelter Cluster M&E Framework.
In 2017 and beyond REACH Somalia is looking to expand information support to the humanitarian response in several key areas, including IDP settlement profiling, multi-cluster needs assessment and improved remote data collection. Key strategic aims are to increase geographic and sectoral coverage and to enhance advocacy capacity through strengthened data collection and information targeting.
Under the supervision of the REACH GIS Specialist, the Senior Database Officer is responsible for an accurate, timely and efficient consolidation of the database from the data collected from the field. The Senior Database officer will be responsible for performing data quality control, tracking data collection progress, downloading, storing and managing datasets, and contributing to the REACH team in terms of delivering high quality outputs. When available and required, he/she will support with other IMPACT/REACH data collection activities.
The Database Officer will also support Assessment Officers and Field Officers in organizing and managing the data collection enumerators. Furthermore, he/she will support the Assessment team in developing and testing tools for data collection, specifically ODK and Kobo.
The REACH Senior Database Officer shall be responsible for:
Data processing and management:
· To process data and information from the field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data
· To enter all data and figures as needed into the database in a consistent, accurate and efficient manner
· To contact enumerators and other field staff to check accuracy and consistency of collected data
· To provide data outputs upon request
· To maintain up-to-date databases as required
· Provide information management support through Mobile tools coding (ODK), daily data checks, IM platform management, and/or geo-referencing, when possible.
Data Quality Control:
· Daily cleaning of raw data, whilst logging any and all changes made to the original data
· Following up with field officers and enumerators about identified problems and mistakes identified in the data
· Design and create tools to improve data cleaning and analysis
· Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data
· Ensuring the timely and accurate spatial verification of primary collected data and prompt update of the field team
· Support the design and directly implement REACH assessment strategy and methodology in accordance to analytical frameworks;
· Review assessment schedules and work with field staff to implement REACH assessment procedures to conduct data cleaning and analysis, as needed;
· Ensuring that assessment strategies are implemented in a structured and coherent manner in line with project and strategic objectives;
· Coordinating and ensuring timely data collection, analysis and, in partnership with GIS/DB team, mapping of datasets and ensuring that all collected data are geo-referenced.
· Production of basic maps to support assessment coordination and for publication in factsheets & reports.
· Work with each enumerator individually where repeated data entry issues to address in the cleaning process and flag up for general improvement
· Communicates with the line manager and relevant staff for any difficulty linked to his/ her tasks and proposes possible solutions
· Respects ACTED security procedures and ensures these procedures are set-up and respected in the site by all ACTED staff members
· Daily reporting to the Assessment Officer regarding the progress of data collection.
· Providing regular reports to the Field Officers at frequent intervals on the progress of the implementation of the assessment activities and on relevant observations during the mission;
· Submitting monthly evaluation of enumerators to Field Officers and Assessment Officers.
The REACH Senior Database Officer will contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions and partnerships. The REACH Senior Database Officer will provide technical backstopping of database to GIS/DB team and provide capacity-building to GIS/DB team related to database management.
Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission
The REACH Senior Database Officer may be called upon to work on other REACH programmes in various locations in country as needs dictate and the security situation allows
Confidentiality and Data Protection
The REACH Senior Database Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities REACH and partners work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about REACH programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every REACH staff member.
· Excellent academic qualifications, including a Bachelor degree in Statistics, Economy, GIS, Information Systems, or relevant discipline;
· Minimum of 3 year of experience working in information management, database management or a related field
· Proven experience in data processing and/or analysis (using either Python or R preferably);
· Advanced MS Excel skills (Advanced usage of formulas, Pivot tables, Lookup functions)
· Considerable experience using ODK for quantitative data collection
· Considerable experience creating ODK questionnaires
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
· Experience with industry standard mapping tools, especially ESRI products is desired;
· Excellent team working skills
· Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to think creatively in terms of tool and process development
· Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
· Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
· Fluency in English one other local language required
· Ability to work independently