Position: Research Manager
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Forcier Consulting is a dynamic research consultancy firm operating across Africa since 2011. Our core services include monitoring and evaluation (M&E) research, capacity-building, training, and reporting for UN Agencies, NGOs, governments, and private sector clients operating in post-conflict contexts and challenging environments. Forcier currently has field offices in South Sudan, Sudan, Somalia, Mozambique, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and Egypt. These offices are supported by a remote technical unit in Washington, D.C., and our headquarters in Tampa, Florida, USA.
Job Description: The Research Manager will report to the Director of Research and will be responsible for the oversight and management of the overall workflow and quality of outputs of all assigned research staff under his or her direction.
Experience level: 5 years+
Education requirements: Ph.D., MSc or MA with demonstrated experience using quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Reports to: Director of Research for Somalia and East Africa, Somalia Country Director
Description of Main Duties:
• The RM is responsible for all client communication and client management throughout the lifecycle of all assigned projects, to include oversight of routine communication between the client and members of the research team on logistics and operationalization.
• The RM represents Forcier as required for assigned projects, and manage relationships with clients and partners including government bodies, donors, UN agencies, NGOs, private sector enterprises and civil society associations.
Managing research teams
In addition, the RM is responsible for the following tasks:
• Quality assurance and management of all project deliverables.
• Maintenance of a macro-level understanding of project objectives, client expectations and management priorities with the overall objective of balancing human resources, staff workload, budget, timeline and resource management.
• Tracking and reporting on key staff utilization metrics.
• Management of project workflow for several research teams, pro-actively working to align team capacities with project requirements.
• Leading and motivating the research management team.
• Ensuring that expectations of team members are established.
• Ensuring that performance reviews are conducted.
• Identifying outstanding staff and bringing them to the attention of the Research Director.
• Building the technical and project management capacity of teams
• Mentoring the research officers and researcher teams on project management tasks including planning, coordination, budgeting, etc.
• Mentoring the research officers and researcher teams on technical research skills including tool development, scripting, sampling, data cleaning, quality assurance, data analysis and report writing
• Coordinating research team workflow with the finance department and operations department in Hargeisa.
• Contributing to internal discussions organization-wide on strategy, policy and organizational issues.
• Expanding the office capacity on business development and analytics.
• Supporting other departments in the implementation of assigned projects as needed, including proposal development and report writing.
• Project management: planning, budgeting, resource management, HR, etc.
• Technical research experience: qualitative and quantitative tool development, scripting questionnaires in CAPI software, sampling, operationalization of complex research design, data cleaning, quality assurance methods.
• Analysis and writing: qualitative and quantitative data analysis, English writing skills, review of analytical work.
• Context experience: experience with conducting research in complex and conflict-affected environments, preferably in Somalia/Somaliland.
Required Behavioral Competencies:
• Positive can-do attitude: Both the context in Somalia/Somaliland and the requirements of clients can change at very short notice. The RM should possess the ability to motivate teams to make the required extra effort – a positive attitude of the RM under pressure is essential;
• Accountability: taking responsibility for action and managing constructive criticism;
• Client Orientation: working effectively with clients and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning: promoting continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication: listening and communicating clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative: actively seeking new ways to improve projects;
• Leadership and Negotiation: developing effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management: implementing and identifying actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing: anticipating risks, and setting goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism: displaying mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork: contributing to a collegial team environment; incorporating gender and disability related needs, perspectives, concerns and promoting equal participation of all employees regardless of specific characteristics and needs;
• Technological Awareness: displaying awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization: working with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
What we offer:
• Salary determined based on relevant experience and educational background in line with standard Forcier compensation guidelines.
• Accommodation provided in security-compliant compound.
• In-country living stipend.
• Flight benefits for paid time off.
• Local transportation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply on our website: http://joinforcier.com. Locate the Research Manager job posting, and click Apply.
Submit a single PDF containing your cover letter, CV and three professional references and any additionally requested documents.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.