2 Feb 2017
JOB TITLE: FSL Projects Coordinator
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Food Security and Livelihoods LOCATION: Hargeisa with frequent travel to remote locations
GRADE: 4 POST TYPE: National
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The primary purpose of the –FSL coordinator is to assist the FSL PM in managing in all FSL funded projects in Somaliland The post-holder will support the PM in planning, implementation and coordination for FSL projects. S/he will contribute to programme strategy, ensure close co-ordination and integration with other projects and foster good working relationships between all sections of the team and with communities, local leaders and counterparts. S/he will work closely with the FSL Program Manager, Field Managers, Head of FSL, Finance, Human Resource and Logistic staff.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: FSL Program Manager, Hargeisa
Country Dimensions: Save the Children works in various locations within Somaliland, Puntland and Central South Somalia with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately GBP 48 million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: 3 but can increase
Internal: FSL Program Manager, Project Officers, Assistant Project Officers , Support Staff and other Sectors
External: Communities, Elders, local authorities and line ministries.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Program Management & Support:
¨ Provide managerial support to the projects in SL for the line management of the Program Manager, who will, in situ, be responsible for the day to day management of FSL activities and staff
¨ In collaboration with the PM, develop Monthly/quarterly/annual work plan, phased budget, cash forecasts and procurement plans for all FSL projects. All these should be submitted to the FSL PM in timely manner
¨ Assist the FSL Program Manager in the development of thorough analysis of the food security and livelihoods situation through primary and secondary assessment and with due consideration for child rights and objective of the programme
¨ With close consultation with the Program Manager, ensure all FSL staff adheres to the security protocol and are sensitized to child safeguarding policy, child protection and code of conduct.
¨ Working closely with the PM, implement project activities ensuring that resources transfers are delivered on time and on budget
¨ In consultation with the PM, manage program budget lines and ensure proper and effective use of program resources
¨ In coordination with the MEAL staff, monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets.
¨ Identify FSL program supply needs and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan
¨ Contribute to the development of a further project proposals for Save the Children’s FSL response in Somalia to develop the programme to more appropriately mitigate against the causes of food insecurity and livelihoods failure
¨ As delegated act the FSL PM and ensure smooth implementation of the FSL project activities.
Budget Management & Monitoring:
¨ In close consultation with the FSL Program Manager, monitor expenditures related to the FSL project budgets.
¨ Assist the Program Manager in developing phased budgets and cash forecasts.
¨ Along with FSL Program Manager, participate in monthly BVA meetings to identify under spent/overspent project budget lines and draw up comprehensive plan to utilize allocated budget as per the project work plan
Staff Capacity building:
¨ Develop staff capacity to ensure that all FSL staff can:
ü Target the most vulnerable beneficiary households
ü Design, implement, monitor and report on all FSL, especially cash transfer, IGA, Micro credit schemes and DRR activities.
¨ Identify learning and training opportunities for FSL Project staff and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff
¨ Conduct trainings to build the capacity of staff/volunteers and the community at large in best practice of food security and Livelihood practices
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL):
¨ In collaboration with the MEAL staff, create M&E and accountability plans; put in place accountability activities for the FSL projects, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered in program design.
¨ Monitor project performance against the protocols designed for the program and ensure action points are addressed in their respective timeframe.
¨ Assist the FSL Program Manager in the dissemination of the findings and results of surveys and ongoing analysis both within Save the Children and the wider community
¨ Ensure the implementation of sufficient monthly monitoring and evaluation of FSL projects.
Reporting & Documentation:
¨ Prepare timely program updates and draft donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal Save the Children requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
¨ Conduct systematic documentation of the FSL projects in the form of case studies, video clips, photos, lessons learnt etc.
¨ Ensure proper filling and data storage for all the projects.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
Developing Self and Others (Accomplished)
- Gives regular positive and constructive feedback to others
- Identifies clear development needs and development plans through regular constructive reviews of their own performance (and their team’s where appropriate)
- Creates space for others to learn and provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments when people are ready for them
- Coaches others to learn from their experiences on the job and to use the resources available to them
Problem Solving and Decision Making (Accomplished)
- Uses data and evidence to drive decision making for quality improvement
- Analyses and exercises judgment in challenging situations in the absence of specific guidance or knowledge of the full facts
- Evaluates the opportunities and risks of each idea and solution to make informed strategic decisions
- Takes decisions when decisions are due and is prepared to account for them.
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Accomplished)
- Makes decisions based on professional expertise and experience without deferring unnecessarily to others
- Shares knowledge and best practice on technical solutions so that others can make best use of that expertise
- Actively seeks new ways to develop the application of technical and professional standards within the team
- Builds trust with contacts through openness and honesty
- Participates effectively in sensitive, complex and/or high impact relationships and networks
- Builds strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
- Spots opportunities to bring together partnerships/working alliances that have not been used before
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in development studies, economics or any other social sciences
- A minimum of least 4 years management experience in the INGO environment, including exposure to field operations in both emergency and development programs
- Good understanding of livelihoods concepts and issues in both emergency and development context.
- Experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary management of projects over USD 1 Million.
- Experience of INGO program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organization structure
- Solid project management skills and a proven history of delivering results
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and implement project plans
- An in-depth understanding of national development issues in particular in relation to children
- Previous experience of managing and developing small teams and the ability to motivate and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Good understanding and experience of working in South Somalia a definite advantage
CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES STATEMENT
Save the Children is committed to supporting performance based career progression for female employees. The following are additional benefits which applies to successful female candidates
o 14 weeks of maternity leave subject to certain length of service conditions
o Increased health and dependence allowance
- 30 days of annual leave excluding weekends (Friday)
CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
How to ApplyApplication procedures: Interested candidates are required to submit electronic CV and mandatory cover letter quoting “FSL Projects Coordinator” on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent to Somaliland.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will close on Thursday, 9th Feb, 2016 @ 12:00AM.
- Posted by:
- Company: Save The Children
- Location: Anywhere
- Job type:
- Job category: No Categories
- Tags: No Tags
- Job expires in: Endless
340 total views, 1 today