We are looking for a
Humanitarian Program Manager
Based in Hargeisa, Somalia/land
Starting date March 10, 2018 at the latest
The humanitarian situation in Somalia has become increasingly fragile following consecutive failed or below normal rainy seasons. Over 3 million people face Crisis and Emergency (IPC Phases 3 and 4) across Somalia through June 2017. There is a potential risk of famine and creation of a drought crisis even worse than 2011 in which 258,000 people died including 133,000 children under 5 years.
The drought effects being experienced in Somaliland and Putland is driven by low rainfall and climatic shocks that have been recurrent over several years due to climate change coupled with increasing competition for resources, disrupted traditional patterns of migration; the erosion of coping strategies and exhaustion of livelihood assets, especially livestock. The recurrent drought has resulted into failed crop production for agro-pastoralist, increased livestock losses for both pastoralist and agro-pastoralist, pastoral dropouts, destitutions, chronic food insecurity, malnutrition, internal and external displacement / or migration. Underfunding of basic services and infrastructure and conflict are also underlying drivers.
Oxfam’s response is currently focusing on WASH and EFSVL. Geographically Oxfam is responding in Somaliland and Puntland.
The Humanitarian Program Manager will strengthen Oxfam’s response to humanitarian emergencies in Somalia through leadership of program and support staff
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Leads the implementation of the Oxfam Somalia response strategy and the coordination of periodic operational plans and budgets of the response, monitoring progress towards achieving program objectives – measures outcome and impact against recognized indicators.
- Ensures that the response strategy (speed, scale, contextually appropriated, integrated) is in line with Oxfam’s overall strategic ambitions, external commitments and Oxfam’s brand as a lead humanitarian actor.
- Coordinates the regular refinement of program approach and strategy to ensure that programming contributes to resilience and Oxfam’s approach is the most relevant and cost effective possible
- Contributes and provides leadership to the overall One Oxfam response in Somalia by reinforcing strategies with communication and advocacy
- Supports and maintains oversight of financial and human resourcing for the Somalia response.
- Ensure response strategy is fully funded by applying appropriate fundraising mechanisms and developing relevant and winning proposals with the team
- Participates in regional level response coordination, ensuring follow up of agreed actions and necessary support from others (e.g. HR, Funding, MEAL, others).
- Maintains effective partner grants and reports monitoring system, ensures adherence to Oxfam policies and procedures on partner management.
- Represents Oxfam to government officials, Consortium, international organizations, NGO’s and other stakeholders.
- Ensures staff safety and security procedures are monitored, updated and implemented. This will include an analysis of the risks and threats to staff working on the response.
- Develop and lead the humanitarian influencing and advocacy for localization and addressing the core humanitarian issues and represent Oxfam in relevant forums to raise the profile of Oxfam and voices of the people we work
- Ensure all donor and external reports are delivered on time with highest level of quality
- Make sure that MEAL function is working properly with proper data management, learning, accountability and evaluation of the program/projects is done on time.
- Recruits and manages staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- First degree in a relevant field
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in similar roles – specifically in managing humanitarian and development programs funded by different donors.
- Significant leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high quality program, influencing and humanitarian strategy, with and through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations (humanitarian WASH, protection and/or EFSL programs and resilience programming).
- Experience with people management;
- Experience of managing complex change processes and relationships involving a wide range of both internal and external multi-cultural stakeholders;
- A high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development in line with Oxfam’s values and policies.
- Proven track record of leading and motivating multi-disciplinary, partially geographically remote teams and operations across many locations.
- Good knowledge of developing and implementing monitoring systems to track the effectiveness of programs and an ability to build cooperative, professional relationships with donors, partners and peer organizations.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English.
- Good interpersonal, influencing, diplomacy and negotiating skills.
- Commitment to equal opportunity and gender policies; sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Ability to travel to remote programmatic sites within the country.
- Experience in managing funded projects and proven ability to write proposals and reports to main humanitarian donors (ECHO, DFID, OFDA, etc.)
- Self Awareness
- Vision Setting
- Agility, complexity and ambiguity
- Relationship building
HOW TO APPLY:
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 10 with a salary range between EU 3302,- to EU 5082,-
Please submit your application through the link given below and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by February 25, 2018 at the latest. Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.