Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
We are looking for a
Humanitarian Program Manager
Based in Hargeisa, Somaliland
Starting date Dec 15, 2018 at the latest
Duration 1 year
The humanitarian situation in Somalia has become increasingly fragile following consecutive failed or below normal rainy seasons. Over 3 million people face Crisis and Emergency (IPC Phases 3 and 4) across Somalia through June 2017. There is a potential risk of famine and creation of a drought crisis even worse than 2011 in which 258,000 people died including 133,000 children under 5 years.
The drought effects being experienced in Somaliland and Puntland is driven by low rainfall and climatic shocks that have been recurrent over several years due to climate change coupled with increasing competition for resources, disrupted traditional patterns of migration; the erosion of coping strategies and exhaustion of livelihood assets, especially livestock. The recurrent drought has resulted into failed crop production for agro-pastoralist, increased livestock losses for both pastoralist and agro-pastoralist, pastoral dropouts, destitutions, chronic food insecurity, malnutrition, internal and external displacement / or migration. Underfunding of basic services and infrastructure and conflict are also underlying drivers.
Oxfam’s response is currently focusing on WASH and EFSVL. Geographically Oxfam is responding in Somaliland and Puntland.
JOB PURPOSE: To strengthen Oxfam’s response to humanitarian emergencies in Somali and strengthening resilience through leadership of programme and support staff
- Ensures that the response strategy (speed, scale, contextually appropriated, integrated) is in line with Oxfam’s overall strategic ambitions, external commitments and Oxfam’s brand as a lead humanitarian actor.
- Lead on responding in a timely, appropriate, accountable and cost-effective manner to humanitarian crises in programme areas, with a focus on programme quality and beneficiary accountability
- Lead the design and development of appropriate contingency plans (for Oxfam and partners), and related preparedness and mitigation strategies, including capacity building initiatives, to ensure Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate can be met at all times;
- HRPM will initiate humanitarian responses in the area where Oxfam operates, based on contingency planning and will keep this document updated. Something around these lines:
- Leads the implementation of the Oxfam Somalia response and resilience framework and the coordination of periodic operational/response plans and budgets of the response, monitoring progress towards achieving program objectives – measures outcome and impact against recognized indicators.
- Coordinates the regular refinement of programme approach and strategy to ensure that programming contributes to recovery and resilience and Oxfam’s approach is the most relevant and cost effective possible
- Contributes and provides leadership to the overall One Oxfam response in Somalia by reinforcing strategies with communication and advocacy.
- Supports and maintains oversight of financial and human resourcing for the Somalia response.
- To develop strategy for second phase of response to recovery and resilience; and strengthen recovery and resilience programming
- Ensure response strategy is fully funded by applying appropriate fundraising mechanisms and developing relevant and winning proposals with the team
- Participates in regional level response coordination, ensuring follow up of agreed actions and necessary support from others (e.g. HR, Funding, MEAL, others).
- Maintains effective partner grants and reports monitoring system, ensures adherence to Oxfam policies and procedures on partner management.
- Represents Oxfam to government officials, Consortium, international organizations, NGO’s and other stakeholders.
- Ensures staff safety and security procedures are monitored, updated and implemented. This will include an analysis of the risks and threats to staff working on the response.
- Work with partners to strengthen partner capacity and response and resilience implementation with partners using their expertise.
- Support humanitarian influencing and advocacy for localization and addressing the core humanitarian issues and represent Oxfam in relevant forums to raise the profile of Oxfam and voices of the people we work
- Ensure all donor and external reports are delivered on time with highest level of quality
- Make sure that MEAL function is working properly with proper data management, learning, accountability and evaluation of the program/projects is done on time.
- Recruits and manages staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required.
- Develop and manage resilience programs in line with the response and resilience framework
- To work with team and partners to find innovative solutions and use of technological options available for scaling up, outreach and efficiency
- Develop and implement resilience program with partners
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 10 with a salary range between EUR 3.368, – to EUR 5.183,-