Human Resources Manager
The Pharo Foundation (“Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with an emphasis on job creation.
Established in 2011, the Foundation has already carried out more than 30 projects in Ethiopia, and Somaliland, as well as Uganda and South Sudan. The key themes on the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water and agriculture. Most recently, the Foundation took over the running of SOS schools in Somaliland, with a capacity of 850 students from KG to secondary, a testament to the Foundation’s dedication and growth plans in Somaliland.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation also has an operational HQ in Nairobi and offices in Hargeisa, Addis Ababa and Assosa, Ethiopia.
Position:Human Resources Manager
This is your dream job if you are a HR professional who is keen to use his/her knowledge and skills in enabling The Pharo Foundation change the social enterprise impact landscape in Somaliland.
The Foundation’s ambition is to grow as a significant employer in Somaliland. You will be at the forefront of defining and implementing the human capital strategy across a diverse portfolio of programmes in Somaliland in collaboration with the senior teams in Hargeisa, Nairobi, and London.
You are passionate about bringing impactful change through your HR experience and have a ‘hands on’ approach to working in underserved markets with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You are truly inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and are motivated to help build a world class Human Resources function in Somaliland.
You also have deep experience in ensuring that company growth is well-managed within a positive and supportive work environment that maximises employee effectiveness and satisfaction.
You are a strategic thinker and can use your understanding of the objectives and goals of the Foundation to work with the relevant teams and implement the resultant human capital strategies in Somaliland that are aligned with these objectives.
You have a proven track record and demonstrable ability to help infuse the vision, mission and values of the Foundation and create the culture that derives from these principles.
Key duties and responsibilities in coordination with the Head HR in Nairobi, Kenya
- Human Resources Development and Management
- To expand and strengthen our Somaliland team by recruiting and retaining the best talent possible domestically and from the diaspora.
- To identify the training needs of employees and ensure processes are in place to support and encourage appropriate personal and professional development of staff within the context of the organisational objectives.
- To provide solid leadership, inspiration and mentorship to the team.
- To ensure that an employee handbook and other guidelines are compliant with the
Foundation’s HR policies and the local employment law and regulations are updated on a regular basis.
- Security, Health and Safety
- To ensure that the health and safety policy is regularly reviewed, and all staff are aware of this policy and follow its guidelines.
- To ensure that risk Assessments of all Foundation places of work are performed regularly.
- To comply with other relevant policies and procedures as they are developed.
- Talent management
- Implement best practice talent policies and procedures and create a comprehensive talent management programme in Somaliland.
- Build talent pipelines and create career development programmes.
- Develop retention strategies and all other aspects required to promote individual satisfaction, team harmony and ensure exceptional overall performance.
- Culture and performance management
- Screening & on-boarding – to enable processes to be in place to ensure new employees are a culture fit and are aligned and fully understand The Pharo Foundation values of passion and respect, creativity and entrepreneurship, trust and accountability. Help manage exit process for those that do not.
- Drive performance management processes with transparent KPIs.
- Possess a postgraduate qualification (minimum required is Bachelors’ Degree but Masters’ Degree is preferred) and/or membership of a professional association.
- A minimum of eight (8) years professional experience; three (3) of these must have been in senior management roles.
- Prior experience of working across diverse entities or subsidiaries is a distinct advantage but as a minimum, each candidate must be able to demonstrate strong HR leadership in sizeable companies or divisions.
- An excellent bilingual communicator, written and spoken, in Somali and English.
- Deep understanding of Somaliland labour laws, standards and legal requirements.
- Strong and charismatic individual with solid pedigree and experience of working for and leading the HR function in significant organisations.
- Superb management skills: able to manage and motivate a wide variety of employees from diverse backgrounds in a professional and compelling manner.
- You respect and understands the local culture and values and yet embraces and can work within international work ethics and standards.
- Problem solving and creative thinking skills: the ability to get results in unstructured environments, solid track record for growing businesses and implementing best practice policies and processes.
- Self-assured, internally motivated and passionate individual with outstanding communication skills driven to succeed and make a difference.
- Must possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination
- Data-driven in decision-making
- A competitive base pay commensurate with experience.
- Medical insurance cover
- Career growth through on-job training and developmental opportunities across The Pharo Foundation.
- The Pharo Foundation COO based in Hargeisa, Somaliland
- The Pharo Foundation Head of Human Resources based in Nairobi, Kenya
- Head of Finance, Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Head of Programmes, Hargeisa, Somaliland
External Relationships, among others:
- Employment authorities and government stakeholders
- Employment service providers
- HR teams in Somaliland
Deadline of application: 6th February 2020.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A detailed CV and Covering Letter,
- A 1,000-word essay on both: 1. What experience have you gained that makes you think that you are the most qualified candidate for the role? 2. How would you motivate the Somaliland team and work with them in promoting the Foundation’s work?
- A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted due to the expected high volume of applicants.
The Pharo Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.