FSL Project Assistant
Employer: Save the Children
Job Title: FSL Project AssistantFeatured job
Job Type: Full-Time
JOB TITLE: FSL Project Assistant-
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Food Security and Livelihood Programme
LOCATION: Hargeisa – but with Frequent Travel to Project Sites,
TYPE OF CONTRACT: National 10 months with possible extension
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The primary purpose of the Project Assistant is to directly work with communities to implement DRR and Resilience of OFDA/FFP interventions.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: FSL Project Officer
Country Dimensions: Save the Children works in various sites within Somaliland, Puntland and Central South Somalia with a current staff complement of approximately 350 staff and current budget of approximately USD 35 million.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Internal: Project Officer/ SCI Staff
External: Communities and Project Beneficiaries
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Resilience and FSL Project Assistantwill be the key frontline staff of Save the Children in the field with direct interaction with the communities.
Conduct OFDA/FFP program awareness community meetings at the beginning of the project in the targeted communities.
In collaboration with the project Officer, conduct project awareness activities with local authorities.
Organize community public meetings and facilitate Village Relief Committee (VRC) selections or other beneficiary selection committees.
In collaboration with the project Officer, assist beneficiary selection committee members to develop selection criteria and identify project beneficiaries in the targeted communities.
Ensure that the targeting principles of the specific components of the project are complied
Conduct beneficiaries verification in the project targeted communities.
Assist in the production and distribution of beneficiary identification cards.
Ensure timely implementation of planned interventions, as per the work plan, budgetary standards and procedures set out in the project
Monitor the day to day project activities in the field, as specified in the project plan
Provide the necessary information on location, date and procedures of cash payment to targeted beneficiaries.
Monitor and Supervise fodder disbursement and Collect Financial Returns(Payrolls, and Payment Vouchers)
Copy Financial Returns and Submit the original copy to the financial department
Conduct regular weekly meetings to capacity build, mentor, assist and supervise beneficiaries on case management basis, ensuring constant communication with all the beneficiaries of IGA support
Assist the Resilience coordinator with assessments and reports.
Develop trust, tolerance and co-operation among beneficiary community members and local leaders.
Encourage and stimulate full participation by all community members; with special attention to those who are often forgotten, including women and children, in community decision making.
Assist the community members in developing their own capacity and strength.
Provide bi-Weekly Progress Update Report as requested by the FSL Officer
Any other duties as directed by the FSL Project Officer.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team.
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives and Adapting
- Problem Solving and Decision Making Applying Technical and Professional Expertise
Problem Solving And Decision Making
Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
- Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
- Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable.
- Knows when to involve others in a decision
- Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
- Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
Working Effectively with Others
Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
- Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of Save the Children.
- Actively participates in networks to access and contributes to good practice
- Gathers and distributes organizational intelligence
- Maintains and develops a range of contacts and keeps them informed
- Knows what is needed from contacts
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in social science, veterinary agriculture, or related field with f relevant field experiences with NGOs.
- Experience of working with communities at grass-root level
- Proficiency in English with good quality report writing as well as the national language
- Computer skills, with focus on word processing and excel
- Experience in working in harsh environment is an added advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in diverse teams