Finance Officer – Hargeisa
ASAL YOUTH DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
Address: Maroodi-jeex Region, Axmed-Dhagax District.
|Job Title:||Finance Officer|
|Organization:||ASAL Youth Development Association|
|Reports to:||Executive Director|
|Duration:||1 Year with possibility of extension|
|Working Hours||40 Hours/Week|
|Annual Leave||24 Working Days per annum|
ASAL Youth Development Association is non-governmental and non-profit making organization which was founded in Hargeisa in 2001 and registered at the offices of the Attorney General and Ministry of Planning and Coordination of Somaliland.
The Organization works to improve the livelihoods and socioeconomic burdens of conflict and drought affected communities in Somaliland through Recovery and Livelihood Enhancements, Food Distribution, Promote access of Clean Water, Wash, Agriculture Development, Basic Education, Vocational skills Training, Health Service, Human Rights and Good Governance programs. ASAL seeks a highly motivated and skilled national to fill the following position.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- The finance officer is responsible for overseeing effective financial management of ASAL, which are consistent with ASAL policies and procedures.
- Both stewardship of resources as well as accountability of the use of resources against funding source is fundamental responsibilities of the position holder
- To perform a monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts and all funding balances
- To review and reconcile monthly accounts for submission to and approval by ASAL Executive Director. This must be done in a timely fashion that allows for all financial reporting to be submitted to the appropriate funding agency as required by such agency
- To develop and undertake an exchange procedure for foreign currency into Somaliland Shillings and this procedure must include authorization by the Director for all informal exchanges of currency
- Under the guidance of the financial policy, the finance officer must ensure that all principles and procedures are applied accordingly
- Assist the administration and program manager to timely prepare reports and payments
- Monitor payment activities by ensuring the adherence of the financial policy and procurement procedure
- The position holder is responsible for financial stability of the platform, including national planning, accountability, transparency and accurately reporting of all financial procedures
- Responsible for timely reporting in collaboration with administration and program manager
- Responsible for preparation of payments and posting to QuickBooks Software
- Responsible for recording payments with excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Responsible for preparation of financial reports including Income and Expenditure statements, Budget vs Actual spending report
- Submitting financial monthly /quarter reports both hard and soft copy in line with the requirements of the donors.
- Responsible for documenting financial records, reports and general filling procedures of
- Assist the program team with planning of activities in order to demonstrate coherent manner of budget estimation and accurate expenditure
- Assist in budget development for new proposal writing and fundraising activities
- The finance officer should not authorize any payments without prior approval of the Executive Director
- Provide regular updates and report to the Executive Director about the financial status of the organization
- Provide staff with Ad hoc financial reports to help monitor budgets
The finance officer directly reports and is supervised by Executive Director
Qualifications and specialized knowledge Education:
Advanced university degree in accounting, financial management, business administration, Business related degree, and/or related field is required. Degree specifically in accounting will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting, accounts and worked in a similar role previously
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and under strict deadline
- At least three years’ experience in finance and accounting.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and very good mathematical skills;
- Solid experience with common Microsoft Office packages, QuickBooks and other financial packages
- Integrity, tact, discretion and demonstrated sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Experience in working with NGOs, CSO is an added advantage
- Fluency in English language
- Strong skills in budgetary and financial analysis
- Ability to manage workload and lead all financial related procedures
- Ability to follow instructions and a quick learner
- Capacity to work under pressure and with a high degree of independence
Conditions of Work
The finance officer will be based at ASAL Office in Hargeisa with potential travel to the sub-regional level.
Interested candidates with the preset criteria are encouraged to apply. Please send your CVs (not more than five pages) and Cover Letter (not more than one page) explaining your qualifications, skills and experience on the position via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Hard copies not acceptable. Kindly indicate the position on the subject line when applying.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
Closing Date: 25th March, 2020 6:00 PM Hargeisa Time
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted Insha Allah