CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
Work Location : Somaliland – Hargeisa Type of Post : Unaccompanied
Other Possible Location : Funding : APPROVED
Expected Travel : up to 30% Type of Contract :
Language Requirement : ENGLISH Application Deadline :
Employee Duration :
The Emergency Director provides critical coordination and support to CARE Somalia’s humanitarian & emergency preparedness and response. The Emergency Director will develop and drive the vision and strategy for CARE’s humanitarian work in Somalia, based on the Country Presence Review (CPR), taking advantage of CARE’s experiences in implementing large scale humanitarian programmes in Somalia.
In between emergencies, the Emergency Director will build the capacity of the implementing partners and field staff, as well as strengthening capacity for preparedness, emergency response, integration of emergency/resilience programming in the Country Office.
He/she will collaborate with CARE Kenya’s Emergency team on cross-border operations and closely work with the Regional Emergency Coordinator on priority areas such as disaster response, gender in an emergency, communication, monitoring and evaluation, and humanitarian policy.
The Emergency Director also leads CARE’s humanitarian representation and advocacy work externally and represents CARE externally at country level in the humanitarian field with partners and donors, key forums and develops a contextual understanding of the country, and undertakes appropriate humanitarian analysis and actions. The ED reports to the Country Director, but with strong links to the CARE Somalia Senior Management team and Regional Emergency unit.
- Humanitarian & emergency preparedness and start-up Emergency Response
- Humanitarian Vision and Strategy
- Oversee Budget management
- Programme Quality
- Cross-cutting Activities
- Other duties as assigned from time to time
- Bachelor’s Degree in Relevant Field
- Have excellent analytical, problem solving and strategic planning skills.
- Be experienced in project design, planning, proposal writing, and project reporting.
- Have excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally.
- Have experience of staff management, training and briefing
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working as part of a team
- Evidence of strong analytic skills
- Computer literacy, including facility with word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications
- High level of analytical and interpretative problem solving
- Ability to develop and implement solutions independently.