Education Program Assistant
Employer: Save the Children
Job Title: Education Program AssistantFeatured job
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Hargeisa; Somaliland
Education Program Assistant
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Education Programme Somaliland
POST TYPE: National
Duration: One Year
The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
ROLE PURPOSE: The Education under the guidance of the Education Program Officer is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of the education Program (including primary, secondary and teacher training and CECs)) in line with and agreed plan of action and budget, donor, SC and government policies, requirements and procedures. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of Program resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. The Education Intern shall ensure linkage among education and other thematic areas at field level.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Education Program Officer
Dimensions: Save the Children works in all regions in Somaliland] with a current staff complement of approximately 120 staff and current expenditure of approximately [US$10 million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nill
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Prepare detailed action plans and for all education subsectors including ( primary, secondary and teacher training) implemented in Somaliland upon approval by the line manager
- Ensure that Program is implemented in accordance with the work plans and the involvement of partners and concerned stakeholders at all levels
- Work closely and in harmony with colleagues in developing clear plans, reporting systems
- Play proactive role in joint Program planning and monitoring activities.
- Organize, Participate and play proactive role in periodic Program monitoring and implementation of actions, and recommendations and sharing reports, to education team and education authorities
- Ensure active involvement and participation of beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders including children in the process of Program monitoring
- Ensure the participation of children/target groups in M&E based on CRP principles and approaches
Ensure that quality activity, field and monthly reports are produced and submitted on timely manner in accordance with SCI formats and schedules
Ensure that monitoring reports are prepared and submitted on time to the Program manager
Representation and Advocacy
- Work closely with other relevant field teams to develop and implement advocacy plans in education in line with the Program Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
- Play proactive role in regional level education advocacy
- Work with the education team members wherever applicable to further Save the Children’s mission for children
Team work and Self Development
- With the guidance of the Program officer the Education assistant understands and is able to adapt his/her roles and responsibilities in both emergency and development contexts
- Under the guidance of the Program coordinator and Manager explores opportunities for self professional development
- Ensure and contribute for effective and supportive team work and culture among team members
- Familiarize with education policies and strategies, SC global strategies, EiE minimum standards, Etc.
- Play proactive role in sharing good practices, experiences with team members and SC staff
Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team.
- Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives and Adapting
Problem Solving And Decision Making
Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
- Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
- Knows when to involve others in a decision
- Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
Working Effectively with Others
Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Diploma in Education (Bachelor degree in education is preferable), social development, economics or other related fields with additional training in education management and administration, EiE, planning monitoring and evaluation M&E and Program planning and management techniques
Knowledge of current national international strategies on access, equity, and quality education policies and models
Recommended a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in education administration and management
Relevant trainings in the area of education, Program management and monitoring
Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
Ability to extensively travel for Program monitoring and provide on-site technical support to field teams
Good interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
Commitment to Save the Children values
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
The post holder must have similar experience to the above position with minimum experience of 2 years in Education sector.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.