Country Security Advisor
Job Title: Country Security Advisor
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Hargeisa – Somaliland
Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long-term development and humanitarian responses.
The Country Office in Somalia/Somaliland is currently recruiting for a
Country Security Advisor
National position – Somalia/Somaliland Nationals
Fulltime/ 40 hours a week
1 year contract
Based in Hargeisa, Somaliland
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
To support the development and implementation of Oxfam work in Somalia by providing specialist strategy, advice and support on security management.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Advice the Business Support Manager and members of the Senior Management Team in their execution of their duties with regards to maintaining safety and security of Oxfam personnel and dependents, premises and assets in accordance with Oxfam Security Management System.
- Advice and support the Business Support Manager about implementing the security management system.
- Provide timely advice and guidance to all managers and staff members regarding security, risk and crisis awareness and management.
- Serve as members and technical advisor in the Senior Management Team
- Serve as a member and technical advisor in the Crisis Management Team
Analysis and Assessment
- Maintain ongoing analysis of the context and developments in relation to staff and programs.
- Maintain and adapt security incident/event reporting system and an incident database for pattern and trend analysis.
- Maintain close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to develop a network and build relationships with key actors to ensure gathering of reliable information.
- Identify, collect, analyze and disseminate information relating to the context, threat and developments of the current security situation.
- Undertake regular risk/threat assessments for all locations where Oxfam staff members and assets are present and evaluate existing and potential areas of intervention.
- Undertake regular and ad hoc security missions and investigations as necessary.
- Lead on the development of security awareness and practice in the country program (including partners) ensuring implementation and compliance.
- Review the Security Management Plan (SMP) and Welcome Pack plus field area specific security documents to ensure analysis and procedures are up to date and meet changes in context.
- Bi-monthly update of Security Risk Register
- Carry out security assessments of new program areas working directly with field teams and input as requested to proposal development.
- On-going information gathering, monitoring of situation and scenario mapping with any indicated update to procedure.
- Lead on contingency planning and review, including incident management, evacuation and hibernation, providing support to Senior Management on crisis management, reporting and analysis. Ensure staffs are rehearsed on the plans and exercises to practice them are carried out on periodic bases.
- Provide technical advice and recommendations (eg: communications equipment and processes, mines/UXO awareness, premises security assessment).
- Provide security alerts and advisories to staff members as necessary.
- Ensure the safety / security management system and practice is in line with existing Oxfam safety / security policy, protocol and approach.
- Co-ordinate with SMT, Logistics etc. to ensure that appropriate systems of administration, communication and transport are in place to facilitate good security management.
- Liaise with national government, INGO, UN, INSO, local administrations of the regions and other actors in the area relating to security to enable smooth running of the operation.
- Develop and maintain close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to develop a network and build relationships with key actors, such as local government, diplomatic and humanitarian communities, to ensure gathering of reliable security information.
- Develop and maintain good collaboration and coordination with Oxfam departments as well as senior management.
- Maintain regular contact and liaison with the executing affiliate’s senior security personnel at HQ and/or regional levels.
- Liaise with relevant staff to ensure that the security management system complements the program and advocacy activities and vice versa.
- Liaise with the relevant support staff to ensure that all logistical, financial, IT, HR and administrative elements of the security management system are in place.
- Ensure that staff members have the security skills and awareness that they need to be effective, by ensuring they are initially inducted and follow up by providing appropriate learning and development opportunities, including delivering training.
- Ensure that all staff and visitors receive appropriate security briefings.
- Ensure that an appropriate system is in place to provide safety and security information to travellers in advance of their departure.
- Ensure dissemination of important information to all staff.
- Support to partners in developing their security guidelines and promoting a security culture.
- Developing, delivering and/or sourcing appropriate training for staff.
Health and Safety
Provide advice and guidance on health and safety, ensuring risk assessments are under taken and appropriate mitigation measures are in place.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE
- Graduate or Master’s Degree in a related subject or relevant experience.
- Excellent analytical, reporting and representation skills.
- 5+ years working experiences in security management field.
- Background service of military/ police with position of responsibility is desirable.
- Experience of working in security management in a conflict environment.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills including with armed actors in complex circumstances.
- Experience of building capacity of national teams in security management processes, including delivery of field based training.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Willingness to travel at short notice and in sometimes-difficult circumstances.
- Committed to Oxfam principles