Job title: Arabic Instructors (Teachers)-2, Hargeisa, Somaliland
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Responsible to: Director of the Academy
Starting date: August 2019
Working hours: Full time
Closing date: 15 July, 2019
Global Peace and Prosperity Initiative (GLOPPI) is a right based international organization operating in the Horn and Eastern Africa specially Kenya, Somaliland and Somalia. GLOPPI envisions a peaceful and prosperous world where human/minority rights respected and fully enjoyed. In collaboration with others, GLOPPI strives to transform peoples’ lives by eliminating poverty, violent conflicts and poor governance to bring about a lasting peace and prosperity to the world’s most vulnerable, marginalized, excluded and the poorest communities especially women, children, youth, minority and endogenous groups through innovative, high impact and relevant programmes and projects in the areas of good governance, livelihoods, food security, entrepreneurship and employment, value addition, resilience, access to social services, human rights, gender and social inclusion, emergencies and protection. GLOPPI empowers the poor, marginalized, excluded and the suffering people to lead a peaceful and prosperous life. We focus on regions and countries where people suffer most as result of extreme poverty, violent and recurrent conflicts, weak governance as well as marginalization.
GLOPPI would like to support a foreign languages and professional training academy in Somaliland. In addition to teaching foreign languages, the academy will also deliver professional, specialized and tailor-made training programmes. This will contribute to employment generation and livelihood by enabling students, university graduates, and employees of public, private and not for profit sectors to have strong language foundations to either join the labour market, universities to further their education and to be proficient and excel in their jobs. This will also enable them to network with outside world; find more opportunities and create jobs for themselves and the unemployed people.
For the beginners, the main purpose of this position is to enable students learn Arabic and to be proficient and fluent in reading, speaking, listening and writing Arabic within the shortest possible time. The advance level must achieve the highest level of professional and academic writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively in Arabic (speaking and writing). These are exciting positions for those individuals who are interested to make a difference by developing the careers of others and supporting them to gain jobs and decent livelihoods and to contribute to economic growth and development. Therefore, GLOPPI would like to receive applications for these interesting and exiting positions from qualified and experienced candidates.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Designing Arabic language courses for the beginners, intermediate and advanced students.
· Preparing and administering entry examinations for each level
· Designing, organising and running intensive courses and tailor-made and specialist courses
· Planning, preparing and delivering lessons
· Preparing classroom and coursework materials, homework assignments, and handouts.
· Identifying and selecting the most appropriate and the most effective teaching methods.
· Helping students improve their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills via individual and group sessions
· checking and assessing students’ work and progress against set targets
· Evaluating a students’ class work and assignments.
· Organizing any extracurricular activities and field trips where necessary and set targets for the student
· Recording and maintain accurate student attendance records and grades.
· Mmaintaining discipline and managing the classroom to be effective and interesting.
· Developing Arabic lesson plans in line with the National Curriculum.
· Creating a vibrant teaching atmosphere and making the academy the most preferred place for learning Arabic.
· Support the online courses and ensuring that students gain Arabic language skills.
· Advise the students and the academy on the best textbooks to be used as reference textbooks.
· Advise the academy on the online Arabic programmes.
· Do other activities as directed by your supervisor
· You must have a Masters degree in Arabic, Arabic literature or linguistics or other relevant degrees.
· You must have 10 years of experience in teaching Arabic and at least 5 years teaching at recognized university and colleges. First degree in Arabic, Arabic literature or linguistics and 15 years teaching experience in lieu of the masters degree
· You have must excellent teaching skills and knowledge of the most effective teaching methods to teach Arabic to foreign students (students whose first language is not Arabic).
· You must have excellent spoken and written Arabic language skills.
· You must be a good communicator, effectively communicating with all stakeholders including parents.
· You must have the ability to work in stressful situations and under pressure.
· You must have good listening, mentoring and coaching skills.
· You must have planning, organisational and interpersonal skills.
· You be must patient, confident, hard-working and must have clear diction and lateral thinking.
· You must be able to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
· You must use creativity and imagination in your classes
· Experience in handling or facilitating Arabic language proficiency examinations etc is preferable.
· Proficiency in Somali language is desirable
· You must be willing to work in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
· You must have 5 years experience in teaching students of different ages and gender